07 June 2012

Legislative Correspondence to Re. Tim Moffitt

Thu, May 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM

From: Crystal J. De la Cruz
To: Representative Tim Moffitt 

Re: DMA 2011 Public Comment Documents on CAP I/DD



Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to say hello and quickly introduce myself today; you were most kind given the chaos and time constraints at the General Assembly today. I do look forward to sitting down for a more comprehensive discussion regarding the 1915(b)(c) Medicaid Waiver and the impact upon recipients and families, as well as the countless dedicated professionals, staff and small business owners whose livelihoods will be be affected - many who may be forced to leave a field that they love for self-preservation.

I am forwarding with this mail, an email sent to Representative Current yesterday with attachments to include the 2011 Public Comments to DMA regarding both phases of 8M Clinical Policy proposals for CAP I/DD services and supports. The first 8M proposal was posted for 46 days, while the second, with more drastic cuts was posted for only 15 days. I'm not certain by whom these were reviewed but certainly not by the appropriate persons in my humble opinion. They are quite lengthy documents, described in more detail in my mail to Dr. Current below, but given that as I meet with members I continually hear that they're not hearing from many parents, I do believe it is worth a scan. These are the missing voices. 

For everyone's convenience, I plan to try to break down the the comments and highlight the significant feedback, suggestions, testimonials and desperate pleas.

I have further included with this mail the detailed email and attachments sent to Governor Perdue and members of the General Assembly in February of this year. 

I understand this is a great deal of information; I've probably read shorter books. As I mentioned, there really is no way to put it in a nutshell. My goal, while we struggle to salvage the State's fiscal integrity, is to make certain no one forgets the human element in all this - the most vulnerable and least responsible of our citizens. The train may have left the station already, though I firmly believe there can be a better destination.

Thank you in advance for your time, attention and compassion toward our special populations and the families who love them.

If I can be of assistance in any way whatsoever, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time. 


Warm regards,

-- 
Crystal J. De la Cruz - Hopper
Mother, Advocate & Concerned Citizen

When we allow the value of human life to be determined by capital gain, when we sacrifice the well-being of the most innocent among us to compensate our own shortcomings, and when we judge the worth of our most fragile, not by their character nor intention, but rather their abilities – We Are in Crisis.

http://no2nchb916.blogspot.com/

"The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life . . . the children; those who are in the twilight of life . . . the elderly; and those who are in the shadow of life . . . the sick . . . the needy . . . and the disabled." 
--Hubert H. Humphrey 




3 attachments
20110512-0626 NC-DHHS-DMA Public Comments 8M CAPIDD.doc [598K]
20110728-0811 NC-DHHS-DMA Public Comments 8M CAPIDD.doc [2786K]