22 June 2012

DMA 8M Public Comment on CAP-I/DD 289

Note: Below is a Public Comment submitted to DMA regarding the 8M Clinical Coverage Policy proposal for CAP-I/DD during the 15 day comment period from July 28 - August 11, 2011. This exert was pulled from it's original source, a public record, and is posted exactly as it appeared save the removal of the submitter's personal contact information and abbreviation of last name.


More on DMA Public Comments. ]

Comment 289

To: Webmedpolicy, Dma
Subject: CAP Waiver changes
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:55 PM

As the single parent/guardian of a 23 year old young man I am concerned/distressed about Home Supports being removed. I am also concerned about the changes which will affect his day program and enhanced services. Matthews plan is written so that he will continue to grow and learn at home and in the community, with lots of family support Matthew is a happy, healthy young man.

I have and always will put my son's needs first. Matthew is unable to be alone and is unable to provide for his basic needs due to his challenges which is why I am unable to work a second job. I feel that I, as a parent, am being forced into decisions which are not what is best for my son.

After moving back to NC in 2006, we lived with my elderly mother and I worked third shift (6:30pm-5am) for four years because I was unable to find help that could be depended on. Due to the diffuculty I had in finding help, I was introduced to the idea of Home Supports. At first I said I am his mother and should not be paid to take care of him, then I thought of being able to provide a home for him (he slept on a bed in the living room) and the fact that my mother's health was declining.

Once I started providing Home Supports Friday thru Monday, I was able to change positions and work 8am-4:30pm. We moved into a home which provided Matthew his own room and is large enough for him to use his wheelchair and walker. He is enrolled in a day program where he is able to be with his peers and be challenged (8:30am-4pm). Due to a lack of help recently I have been paying a neighbor to stay with him an hour in the morning and I am home when he arrives in the afternoon. I am able to share a meal with him, care for his needs, interact with him and tuck him in every night.

With the changes to habilitative services, I am concerned that there will not be enough hours to cover his care and I feel he needs this program more than any other. What happens then? With the deletion of enhanced services I am concerned that it will be harder than ever to find someone to provide those services. What happens then? With the deletion of Home Supports, I am concerned as a parent/guardian I will have to make decisions which will have a huge negtive impact on Matthew's life/lifestyle. What happens then?

I feel I am being forced to consider placing my son so that he will get what he deserves, I feel it is unfair to us. When deciding on changes, please keep in mind that we are real people with goals and dreams who face additional challenges.

In closing, I would like to say why should any one be placed when a natural/adoptive parent/guardian wants more than anything to keep their adult child at home and provide for their needs, as well as, provide a loving and nurturing environment.

Sharon B.
Arden, NC