26 June 2012

DMA 8M Public Comment on CAP-I/DD 293

Note: Below is a Public Comment submitted to DMA regarding the 8M Clinical Coverage Policy proposal for CAP-I/DD during the 15 day comment period from July 28 - August 11, 2011. This exert was pulled from it's original source, a public record, and is posted exactly as it appeared save the removal of the submitter's personal contact information and abbreviation of last name.

More on DMA Public Comments. ]

Comment 293

To: Webmedpolicy, Dma; Office of the Governor; kpowell@arcnc.org; Michael Cooper; admiral ballard; opinion@charlotteobserver.com
Subject: 8M-CAP-I/DD
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:59 PM

To Whom it may concern:

I am writing to share my thoughts on the waiver changes proposed by DHHS/DMA for Community Alternatives Program for Individuals with Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities. I do not understand the details and technical terms as well as I should but I understand enough to know vital services are proposed to be cut. I worked outside the home for the first 18 years of my daughter's life to provide for her and was lucky to have parents to help me with childcare. When Jordan turned 18 I was able to stay home and provide Home Supports through CAP for her which resulted in an amazing improvement in our lives. I was no longer so exhausted from working all day and taking care of her all night that we actually began to enjoy our life rather than getting by.

If Home Support hours are cut I will be forced to work an outside job again to pay our bills. If other support services are cut then who will care for Jordan while I work this other job? My parents have retired, moved and are unable to help me now that they're older. I have never even thought of a group home or institution until now. If I can't care for her and she was to go to a group home or institution then the government would be paying for that. Why would you take my income and give it to a group home or institution when my sole purpose in life is to love and care for her. I would personally live in my car if that's what it took to keep Jordan with me but I would hope it would never come to that. I have worked from the age of 16, paid my taxes, never had government assistance and never plan on it. I don't want food stamps or welfare or my daughter placed outside our home. I want to be paid for the job I am doing which is to provide 24/7 care for Jordan. I love her, want to care for her and grow old with her.

I would hope you wouldn't make these changes so the families of people with disabilities can stay together and have the lives they deserve. I thought that was the purpose of Home Supports and other support services. Stop giving more money to drug addiction programs, released convict programs, etc. and let us keep what our children deserve and need.

Sincerely,

Donna C.
Pineville, NC