14 March 2012

email to Representative Bill Current

Republican Representative William Current from Gastononia, NC, has served 4 terms in the NC House of Representatives representing District 109, Gaston County. Currently, he is a Co-Chairman on the Health and Human Services (Standing) Committee and Member on the Appropriations Subcommittee on Health and Human Services (Standing), Health and Human Services Subcommittee on Mental Health and the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Health and Human Services (Standing), (Non-Standing). He has not filed for re-election.
 
March 14, 2012
Sent via email:

To: Representative Bill Current with re-forwarded 02/25 email to Members of the NC House and attached letter and enclosures to Governor Perdue per request following the 03/13 Joint Legislative Oversight Committee Meeting on Health and Human Services:


Dear Representative / Dr. Current or Bill per your request,

First, please know that my southern upbringing makes it difficult to address you informally as Bill, though I find your insistence in being recognized as a sincere person of the people both admirable and refreshing. I hope you don't mind my saying, upon meeting you briefly yesterday you reminded me very much of my late grandfather (in his best ways), a WWII veteran and former Johnston County Magistrate, who was a strong, unbending personality of sincerity and character to say the least.

Once more, I wanted to thank you kindly for taking a moment to chat with me as a parent of a beautiful little girl with profound developmental disabilities who, along with her family and many families such as ours across the state, will be directly and critically affected by the new Medicaid Waiver plan under NC House Bill 916 (now SL 2011-264) if allowed to proceed as intended.

I realize the enormity of the issues at hand regarding the State's exhausted budget and I understand that there are no easy answers for the predicament we as a State have placed ourselves. It is truly frightening on many levels... Realistically, I understand that this train cannot be turned around this late in its travels; it has, after all, been moving in this direction for quite a few years. Though I sincerely believe the destination can be changed.

I am just a mother and advocate; I am only an expert in the life of my child and my role as her mother and protector, and as such am also at a loss for perfect solutions, however, I know very well what the answers are not, because I live it every day. Of all the citizens of North Carolina, special populations are the least responsible for the State's economic crisis; it is truly heart-wrenching that they, as the most innocent and fragile among us, will once again pay the price for the ill-intent and misdeeds of those who should have protected their needs and interests.

You mentioned when we spoke that you would only be around (in your legislative seat) through December and expressed confidence in the ability of 'the smart, younger fellows to sort it all out.' I can only imagine that the roles of Members in the NC General Assembly are demanding and no doubt tireless; I do not doubt the hard work and dedication of all the members of legislature. Though with all due respect, I wish I shared your confidence. You see, there is a world of difference between intelligence and wisdom. Just as one cannot possibly know the life nor hardships of another without walking a mile in those ragged shoes, it is the experience of life itself, full of change and challenge, personal growth, sacrifice, humility and gratitude from which wisdom derives.

As mentioned, please see attached my letter and enclosures to Governor Perdue outlining in more detail my concerns and sharing an intimate glimpse into our life and a not-so-dissimilar story to many families across the State of North Carolina. Please, please take a few moments to read the words; they represent the lives of many.

I welcome you to contact me at any time should you have questions or if I can be of any assistance. I would very much like the opportunity to meet with you again for further dialogue at any time that is convenient for you. I can make myself available any time you're in Raleigh and would even be willing to drive to Gaston County. I work with my husband, a local small business owner, so that occasionally affords me flexibility - to love my child the best way I know how.

Thank you in advance Bill for your attention and consideration.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.


Kind regards,
--
Crystal J. De la Cruz - Hopper
Mother, Disability Advocate, & Concerned NC Citizen
contact information...