25 March 2012

email invite to Representative Nelson Dollar

Republican Representative Nelson Dollar, from Cary, NC, has served 4 terms in the NC House of Representatives for District 36 of Wake County and was a Primary Sponsor of House Bill 916. Currently, he is Co-Chairman on both the Health and Human Services (Standing) Committee and the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Health and Human Services (Non-Standing) Committees, and a Member on the Health and Human Services Subcommittee on Mental Health. On February 15th of 2012, he filed for re-election. 

25 March 2012
Sent via email:

Dear Representative Dollar,

My name is Crystal J. De la Cruz - Hopper. Last month you and other members of the North Carolina General Assembly received a copy of a letter I sent to Governor Beverly Perdue. As I understand, both you and Senator Hartsell forwarded my correspondence along to Dr. Pat Porter; I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for interest and assistance in opening a dialogue as a parent of a special little girl, Isabel.

While I sincerely hope that at some point in the near future, I might have the opportunity to meet with you personally to discuss concerns regarding the new Waiver changes, I can only imagine the overwhelming magnitude of the plate now before you and the stress you must be under dealing with issues at hand, so I recognize you probably could use a break. I am writing to you now to extend a personal invitation (all political chatter aside) for you and your family to come out and enjoy a game of baseball as perhaps you have never before experienced...

I profess, I've never been very sports-minded, perhaps because I personally lack the coordination required to walk and chew gum at the same time. My husband on the other hand, as I often jest, would no doubt find appeal in competitive squirrel-wrestling if it were am athletic event. I do enjoy World Cup soccer, Ice Hockey and occasionally Collage Basketball depending on who's playing so rarely do we enjoy sporting events as a family. Of course since our five-year-old son, Liam, has been taking Tae Kwon Do (and recently earned his Green Belt), I've added that to my short list of athletic interests, however the idea of baseball has always bored me to tears... that is, until our daughter joined the Miracle League of the Triangle.

Established in 2006, the Miracle League of the Triangle, is an amazing non-profit organization orchestrated by an extraordinary group of dedicated volunteers whose goal is simply to provide children with special needs an opportunity to play baseball.

There are numerous teams each with their own jerseys, hats, and coaches. There are bats and mitts, concession stands, a real ball field, bleachers, and dugouts... just like in baseball. There is even a proper baseball announcer and coolest of all, every child has their own "walk out" song.

Our Bella chose Eddie Murphy's rendition of "I'm a Believer" from the original Shrek soundtrack.

And this is why I'm now a baseball fan:

Watching the faces of all these kids out there playing ball... some smiles couldn't be missed and some wore theirs on the inside... some run their little hearts out around the bases and turn cartwheels, some walked slowly with braces and had to be carried to home, some made it on wheels, and one kid rounding second that just decided to sit down and take a load off mid-game (yep, that would've been MY child)... But no one struck out and everybody won... and the pride which ruminates from the field, from the stands, from each little being is nothing short of miraculous... because they are each a part of something bigger than themselves, something fun and spirited and above all, something that included them, counted them, and recognized them... cheered for and acknowledged them and for an hour, gave each child a sense of normalcy within their own diverse community of teammates, coaches, buddies, parents, friends, and even strangers where no one stared, no one ignored them and pretended that they weren't there... and everyone celebrated the fact that they were.

I would like to invite you Representative Dollar to take a time out and swing by with your wife, Lorrie, and son, Ian, for an afternoon, or even an hour, of sheer magic. Just one game. --Few things in my life raising a child with profound special needs have ever revived my soul and renewed my faith in humanity quite the way watching these kids play baseball has... I would be honored to share such a moment with you and yours.

I've attached both my daughter's schedule (Isabel plays on the Marlins) and the full team schedule for the Spring season, as well as my original letter to Governor Perdue just to refresh your memory, if needed, of who I am.

Miracle League games are held near to you in Cary at Andy's Foundation Field, Adams Elementary School, located at 805 Cary Towne Boulevard.

And you have my most sincere promise, should you wish to join us (and I dearly hope that you will), that I will do my utmost to assure your presence is respected and your time protected for sole purpose of enjoying some baseball magic and family. Hot dog's on me.

My contact information is below.


Sincere regards,
--
Crystal J. De la Cruz - Hopper
contact information...