05 July 2012

In Remembrance of Marcie Pietras

Last Tuesday afternoon, I talked to my dear friend and case manager, Marcie Pietras.

We caught up a little on life, my kids, her furry kids and pig, what was going on with her and the results of her latest medical poking and prodding and test results (it's been a tough year for Marce), though she's never been one to talk about her own problems or issues, because she's always been one of those rare selfless souls who always cared more about others than herself... We talked about the pedicure and drinks we keep planning and getting together again when she was felt better...

Inevitably, as our calls have this year, talk turned to the Medicaid Waiver, politics and her deep concern for the welfare of "her families."

She told me she planned to sign on as a "Community Guide" just to make sure her families were taken care of and had the support and advocacy they needed as Wake and surrounding areas transitioned. Half-jokingly, I asked, "Seriously? What are they going to pay you? You'll be eating beans!" She said she didn't care; she was not going to abandon her families when they needed her most... "This thing is such a mess," she said, "I can't do that to these people. At least this way, I can still be there and help them..."

She told me she was amazed at all I have done with advocacy and that it's making a difference, people are starting to listen. I told her I hoped so and I just couldn't help myself. And then apologized that she hadn't kept in touch better, that she hadn't done more lately...

She told me her mom was flying in to help out and spend some time since she had been ill. I told her to enjoy and let someone else take care of her for a change the way she takes care of everyone else. We said we'd catch up soon, that we'd get together again... I told her to let me know if there was anything she needed or anything I could do. "I'll be okay."

But that's Marcie.

And the last thing I said to her before we hung up was that I loved her.
The very last words I would get to say to her in this life...

Less than 24 hours later, Marcie was gone.
She was but a wise old soul of 31.

She left behind the love of her life, a soldier and Raleigh Police Officer - whom she often drug to "her kids'" houses in uniform so they could sit in the patrol car - and countless other family and friends now left with giant holes in our hearts. And her beloved special families.

There are many, many reasons I adored Marcie. Sure we met professionally as she was my Isabel's case manager, but to know her was to love her for what she loved, she loved with her ALL - and what she loved with her all, she fought for, never compromising who she was nor what she believed in.

She was a shining example of the best of human spirit and truly an angel among us.

I got the call Wednesday morning, June 27th, while having breakfast with my wise little 5 year old son... He asked with such concern, "Mommie, why are you crying?"

Before it could even occur to me that this topic was uncharted territory, I told him, "Baby, Miss Marcie died."

Without so much as a pause, he said, "She's with the angels now, right Mommie?"

"Yes, baby, I believe she is."

And to that my dear sweet boy replied, "Maybe God will make her an archangel and then she will be Archangel Marcie."

I told him that I thought Miss Marcie would make an most excellent archangel.

And indeed she would.

Marcie Pietras was so very much more than a Case Manager, not just to my family, but to many, many others... a dear friend, protector, and advocate for those without a voice as well as those whose exhausted voices had long since faded in defeat. She was a fiery spirit who always gave her all and always went above and beyond in everything she did, especially when it came to her families.

I once had a Wake County Public School professional tell me after a four hour long IEP, "It's just not fair that one child should get more services than another just because her parent is a better advocate!"

I looked her straight in the eye and replied, "You're exactly right!" --No parent should have to fight this hard to make sure their child is taken care of and gets everything they need and deserve.

And that's pretty much how Marcie saw it too. --She fought tirelessly for the families she loved up until her last moments. She fought for what she believed in - what she knew in her heart of hearts was right and just. She knew that indeed it takes a village to care for and protect special people for they are here as teachers... And she saw these amazing and beautiful children in their truest light - she saw them as angels here to teach us about ourselves and reconnect us with the goodness of life and the things that really matter at the end of the day.

That is what made her Marcie.

There is absolutely nothing anyone can tell me that will convince me that any Care Coordinator, call center service, nor Community Guide could even begin to fill her shoes... and certainly not the gaping hole left in the hearts of the many who loved her.