25 August 2012

Apples, Oranges & Supported Employment

With all the talk of community support, naturally the issue of supported employment for persons with intellectual / developmental disabilities comes up... After all, doesn't everyone need to be needed and have a sense of accomplishment? Does not every life have a purpose?

A while back, I met with NC Representative Bill Current to discuss my concerns surrounding the statewide Medicaid overhaul and the recipients and families who will be affected. Dr. Current, a retired dentist, is a kindly conservative southern gentleman rooted firmly in his strong beliefs of integrity and hard work among other things - and does not hesitate to share his views regardless of yours (much like my late grandfather, a WWII veteran and former magistrate). I liked him immediately.

We chatted briefly about UNC (his alma mater), UNC basketball, and changing times in the field of dentistry before settling down for business. Before I could get started, Dr. Current was quick to share with me his position regarding government handouts and free for alls. I listened quietly as he spoke and then I told him,

"I agree completely."

I highlighted for him my 7 years as a struggling single parent raising a young child with disabilities without child support or much of any other... of undergoing a major back surgery when my child did not walk, going back to school, working and eventually buying my first home on my own - never once receiving government assistance, because I made too much money to qualify and some months, not even enough to live on.

I told him I knew exactly what he was talking about, that I could fill up a page on his legal pad with names of people I knew on welfare or capable persons receiving disability who have made a career mooching off the system, residing in supplemented housing and living and eating far better than my own family and driving brand new SUVs - and my husband and I work our butts off.

"But let's separate the apples from the oranges. I'm talking about a population of people who would do absolutely anything to be able to work, give back, and have a sense of independence, pride and accomplishment. People who desperately want to have just a taste of what the rest us us take for granted every day..."

So, today when I saw this image from The Arc of San Francisco, promoting supported employment through their We Can Do It program, I could not help but smile all the way through! It is absolutely, positively AWESOME and I LOVE IT!